Thursday, March 5, 2009

DIY storage

And it's time for another of Makeesha's challenges! This time, it was a sketch challenge.



And this is what I made.





I used Blue Bayou, Wild Wasabi, Certainly Celery and Whisper White cardstock, Pumpkin pie DSP, Wild Wasabi double stitched ribbon,Basic Black, Pumpkin Pie Summer Sun and Versamark ink pads, clear embossing powder and finally some Vintage brads. Something about this card doesn't sit right with me. I think it's the position of the Whisper White CS. Can I just say how much I LOVE heat embossing?! I broke out my heat gun for the first time, and I've decided I can't live without it. I used the colour combo from the Spring Break DSP, and I love it! I must use it again sometime. The lighting makes the greens look kinda washed out, though.

It's been a while since my last post, mainly because I've been busy making an ink pad holder and have had not much time for cards.







I found the idea from an American demo by the name of Stacey King. Genius! It can fit 60 ink pads (12 in each section) but it sits flat, unlike Stacey's which sits on a slight angle down towards the back by lifting the front slightly. I also added in a shelf on top so I can keep small stuff (eg. SNAIL) within reach. I also made a holder for 12" by 12" paper, as a practice run before attempting the bigger project.



I had to borrow a glue gun to put it together, but after trying it out I had to buy my own. Picked up one from Dicksmith for about $18.93 and I absolutely LOVE it!! However, it took some getting used to and I might have used a wee bit too much glue. If you look carefully, particularly at the photo of the paper holder, you can see where I used too much glue causing it to ooze out and dry. I suppose I could cut it off with a knife, but I couldn't be bothered.

Can you tell I'm extremely pleased with myself? I used a 81cm by 102cm piece of foam core board to make the ink pad holder and shelf, with a little bit left over. At just under $10 for one sheet, it's a cheaper alternative to the Stampin Up! caddy. And a lot of fun to make. I think I was high on glue fumes by the end of the assembly! Ah, customizable storage......how I love thee.

Well, enough patting myself on the back. A friend asked me to make a baby card for her, and I came across
this card by Angelique Kelly. It's sooooooooooo cute! I CASED it by using Pretty in Pink cardstock, cut out the shape and stamped the little hearts using Rose Red ink. The glitter was adhered to the hearts and the Baby stamp using a 2-way glue pen, and the scallop circle was punched out of Apricot Appeal cardstock.



Also, I've been working on make a set of square (~10cm by 10cm) cards, but have only finished two so far. The photo was taken under a fluoro light, and the yellow of the cardstock is darker IRL. Hopefully I'll get to finish the other two and post them up next week.



TTFN!

1 comment:

  1. oh I love how you made your ink pad holder! Its cost effective and sturdy!! I will try it out myself! Thanks for sharing! Love it.

    ReplyDelete